Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Can you kneel before the King, and say "I'm clean".

Hello Readers!
I just want to take a moment to tell you how happy you make my life! There is no better feeling than seeing how many views my posts get, and it's all thanks to you! So thank you!

Today I want to talk about music. Music is a huge part of my life, and has been for every moment that I can remember. I think I sang before I could talk. I love to sing, I love pretending that I know how to play guitar [I know like 10 chords, OKAY!?], and I love listening to music. I love listening to lyrics of songs, and trying to interpret what the writer was trying to say. I love how music makes me feel.

Now, I have this friend that I care for dearly.. And most of the time, he has awesome taste in music... But sometimes... When all of us are hanging out in his dorm room... He plays music that, well, I just can't stand.

I pride myself on NOT being a music snob, because it drives me absolutely crazy when my brother, who is in fact the SNOBBIEST of all music snobs [It's endearing.] tells me that some band or song I like is "garbage". So, naturally, I feel awful about hating my friend's music.

There is a good reason that I don't like the music... I hate how it makes me feel. I am left with this... ill-at-ease sort of feeling that sometimes, takes me a few minutes to shake off after the song is over, or until we listen to something that makes me feel better.

I agree completely with the notion that music helps us as humans to expel emotions, and allows us to connect with the emotions of the writer and all that jazz... But I do believe that the music we listen to has a very deep effect on our emotions... not just an outlet for the emotions that we already have, but a cause of emotions.

This music that my friend likes to play, I think, plays a huge part in how he feels on a day to day basis.. He disagrees.. But I'll go to my grave thinking that if he just listened to less of it, he might feel better. Or when he's feeling angry or sad, listened to something that made him feel better, rather than something that will aggravate his already heightened emotional state.

But, what do I know, right?


I'll leave you with something that made me very happy today.
White Blank Page - Taylor Swift [Mumford and Sons]

DFTBA.

Love Always,
Emma Cate

3 comments:

  1. Good post. I totally agree that music can cause emotions. As to your friend, maybe you should just talk to him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should stop hanging out with him he will maybe get the clue that you don't appreciate his music or undertstand that his music is angry. I live in a dorm and if someone did this while I was in their room it would drive me bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mumford And Sons! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete